Wednesday, January 11, 2006

blogging made even easier with w.bloggar

Mac users, this won't apply to you, sorry.

w.bloggar is a free, lightweight standalone blogging tool that works well with Blogger and several other blogs (I have only tested it on Blogger blogs, but there is a long list that you can use it with)

I have been using the Google Toolbar for Firefox plugin that integrates with Blogger, as well as Performancing. They each have advantages, most obvious of which is blogging from within Firefox while viewing a particular page.

The drawbacks for these are really just related to the speed of the browser.

w.bloggar is nice, because on my machine at least it is very fast - it is written in vb (I think) and opens quickly and posts incredibly quickly (I'm on High Speed DSL). It is also nice because there are a lot of keyboard shortcuts for common things - for example linking is accomplished by holding down the control key and pressing "L", and the dialogue gives you the option of which window to target - something which I loathe about the Blogger.com interface (no option for target="_blank").

There is a spell checker, all the normal WYSIWYG formatting options, a template editing option (for Blogger.com blogs at least) and several other nice features.

The last reason that I love this is that I added a shortcut to w.bloggar in my shortcuts folder (which is in my PATH environment variables) - then I renamed the shortcut "blog" - so to open w.bloggar all I need to do is hit Windows Key > r > then type "blog" and I'm ready to post!

The biggest drawback is the lack of an image uploader. Maybe for different types of blogs this feature exists, but with w.bloggar you have to put in a URL. For posting images, however, I recommend Picasa (with Blogger.com blogs at least)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home